Hollywood natural-hair guru and owner of West of Heaven Salon, Dede Ford, shares her tips and tricks to make sure your strands don't suffer as the weather changes:
The season is changing and it's time to get serious about protecting your hair from the harsh elements. Whether your hair texture is fine and thin, thick and coarse or some where in between, you may start to notice some changes to your hair and scalp due to the colder climate. To help prevent any excessive hair loss and dry scalp I have a few tips you can follow.
(1) Cleanse your hair and scalp using sulfate free shampoo. Sulfate shampoos strip away dirt but they also strip away your hair's natural oils which help hold moisture in the hair.
(2) Condition condition condition. Whether it's instant or deep penetrating never cheat your hair. If you don't have a lot of time use a leave in and then proceed.
(3) Have a party with your hair by giving yourself a pre-shampoo treatment using hot oils. Coconut, almond, olive and carrot oils are some of my favorites. Massage into hair and scalp let sit for 15-20 min. Rinse thoroughly shampoo condition and style.
(4) Try to use your heated styling tools less often during the winter season. This will only add to hairs dryness and chance of breakage.
(5) Be gentle when brushing and combing your hair. Choose a soft bristle brush and use a wide tooth comb when styling your hair.
(6) If your hair is chemically treated or colored and you notice it's shedding, or drier than usual during the colder season, prolong the time between salon visits to give your locks a break.
(7) Be careful wearing cotton or wool hats, scarfs and turtlenecks. These must have winter fashion items will keep you warm but can cause shedding and thinning around the hairline.
(8) Visit your professional stylist to keep up with maintenance and trims.
(9) Consider protective styles like up-do's, braided or natural styling this will help to give your hair a needed rest.
(10) Remember healthy hair starts from within. Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, try not to stress, eat foods rich in nutrition, and a hair. skin and nail vitamin couldn't hurt!