Aside from all the other fun stuff that happens in middle age, your hair can get drier (and sometimes change texture) because your scalp tends to produce less oil. Less oil = less shiny and less manageable hair.
But don't ride off into the sunset just yet! There are 5 things you can do today to regain soft supple hair.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids Change your hair, change your life -- these are the building blocks for that moisture barrier in your skin and hair. Not only will eating walnuts, avocado, flaxseed and salmon help your body to create the oils found naturally on your scalp but they'll reduce anti-aging inflammation and extend cell life.
- Wait a minute (or 3 minutes) In the shower that is! Leave your conditioner on for at least 3 minutes in the shower. I like to do my hair first thing before exfoliating etc. The steam and heat will help penetration and deepen conditioning.
- Use your head As long you're sitting at your desk finishing up your Master's Thesis, why not put a restorative masque through your hair and cover it with a shower cap? The natural heat from your head will help the masque do it's job. You'll be smart and look smart.
- Let it shine Use a serum with high quality botanical oils and lightweight silicones to smooth the hair cuticle. Smooth hair reflects light more evenly and appears shinier.
- Don't be a stripper Not that kind silly! Use a shampoo that uses gentle surfactants (cleansers) not harsh sulfates. Would you wash your cashmere sweater with the same stuff you use to degrease your car engine? The less healthy oils you strip out of your hair, the less conditioner you'll have to use afterwards.
As for the other challenges of getting older -- just consider the alternative, and remember that everyone else is doing it too.